The Nineteenth Symposium on Usable Privacy and Security (SOUPS 2023) will take place August 6–8, 2023, and will be co-located with the 32nd USENIX Security Symposium in Anaheim, CA, USA.
In cooperation with USENIX, the Advanced Computing Systems Association
All dates are at 23:59 AoE (Anywhere on Earth) time.
- Submission Deadline: Thursday, May 25, 2023
- Notification of Poster Acceptance: Thursday, June 8, 2023
- Poster Session: TBA
Hala Assal, Carleton University
Joshua Reynolds, New Mexico State University
Posters Junior Co-Chair
Kentrell Owens, University of Washington
High-quality poster presentations are an integral part of SOUPS. We seek posters and poster abstracts of recent or ongoing research related to usable privacy and security.
We welcome submissions of:
- Preliminary findings from ongoing work
- Undergraduate/master research projects
- Posters about work on usable privacy and security that were recently published at other venues (2022 to 2023)
Poster acceptance will be determined by the poster chairs and jury. Accepted poster submissions will be made available on the website. During the symposium, best poster awards will be selected by the poster jury. At least one member of the research team from each accepted poster must attend SOUPS and present the work.
The poster jury plays a large role in growing the SOUPS community, giving new community members an opportunity to participate in the peer review process. The poster jury also contains a core of senior members. We look forward to an exceptionally diverse, inclusive, and interesting poster session.
SOUPS 2023 will be an in-person event. We will prepare an interactive and engaging poster session. Presenters can expect to share their work with the community and receive feedback. More details on the exact format will be announced.
Poster submission requirements:
- Poster abstract. Original submissions should use the SOUPS template format (available for MS Word or LaTeX), and be at most 2 pages (excluding references and appendices). For posters on previously published papers, please submit a simple PDF with the following information: the full bibliographic citation (title, authors, venue, etc.), a link to the published (official) version of the paper, and the paper abstract. All submissions must be in PDF format and should not be anonymized.
- Poster. All submissions (including recently-published research) must include a draft of the poster to be evaluated for acceptance. Please consider the poster’s accessibility (e.g., use text large enough to read when viewed from a reasonable standing distance, use simple non-serif fonts and high contrast between text and background). You can check this guide for more information. For the submission as PDF, please scale the poster down to normal paper size (US letter or A4).
- Poster submissions will be reviewed by the poster jury. We reserve the right to reject without further review submissions that do not include a poster draft. For inspiration, please see exemplary posters from SOUPS 2022 here and here.
- Ethical Research. Your poster submission and research approach—including research instruments—should be inclusive and respectful. A variety of guidance exists on this topic. Please be sure to follow guidance on language use from the USENIX statement on racism and Black, African-American, and African Diaspora inclusion. Authors are encouraged to include in their submissions an explanation of how ethical principles were followed, and may be asked to provide such an explanation should questions arise during the review process. The poster abstract should include an explanation if your organization or institution has provided formal clearance for research with human subjects, or explain why this work is exempted from such clearance. Your poster submission may be rejected if clearance was not obtained. However, such clearance alone does not guarantee acceptance and the poster jury may reject a poster submission on ethical grounds.
How to Submit
Submit your poster via the submission system, which will be available here soon. Please use the correct template and follow formatting instructions when preparing your poster abstract to reduce the need for revision after acceptance.
SOUPS 2023 will be an in-person event. More information will be communicated to authors of accepted posters. At least one poster author must attend the poster session to present the work.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.